"If you don’t listen deeply, the connection won’t take place.
You have to be willing to be changed by the person you’re listening to,
where you’re not just waiting for a pause so you can say your thing,
but you’re actually letting them have an effect on you if they can.
When I’m willing to let them change me, something happens between us
that’s more interesting than a pair of dueling monologues."
- Alan Alda, actor -
What situations are particularly challenging for you when you try to communicate with other people?
Maybe some, or all, of these:
Interviews - Networking – Sales calls - Customer service – Meetings – Performance reviews - Feedback – Coaching – Disputes – Management – Socializing
Get better results with your colleagues, prospects, clients, customers, leaders, teams and personnel. Friends, family, and community too.
Practical Empathy is designed to help you:
- Stay focused and manage your responses, self-talk, emotions, and actions--especially in challenging circumstances.
- Learn what you can and cannot control and when (and how) to let it go.
- Become more flexible, open to unexpected opportunities, and successful at building rapport, trust and positive relationships.
- Talk so people will listen, and listen so people will talk and tell you what you need to know.
- Understand the role of emotions in communication and listen to learn and understand – not necessarily to agree.
- Make better and faster decisions about what to say, how to say it, when to say it--and when to STOP.